- Readers Rating
- Rated 3.7 stars
3.7 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Very Good
- Your Rating
The Tronsmart Orion R68 is Tronsmart’s latest Android TV box and their first featuring the increasingly popular Rockchip RK3368. It’s available in two versions. The Pro features 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage whilst the Meta increases both with 2GB of RAM and 16Gb of onboard storage.
The R68’s ports are on the rear and side of the box. On the back, from left to right, we have the power button, DC in, a USB port, HDMI, Ethernet and optical audio.
- 0.1 Tronsmart Orion R68 Design
- 0.2 Ports
- 0.3 Tronsmart Orion R68
- 0.4 Wireless Performance
- 0.5 Where to buy Tronsmart R68 TV Box
- 0.6 Specification
- 0.7 Communication
- 0.8 Media Supported
- 0.9 Interfaces
- 0.10 Other Features
- 1 Finally, check out our other Tronsmart TV box Reviews
Tronsmart Orion R68 Design
Those familiar with an Amazon Fire TV will probably think the Tronsmart Orion R68 looks familiar. It’s got a similar black square shape. The box feels extremely light since it’s made with plastic. It also has a non-skid surface on the bottom. It feels solid even though it’s so light.
The back and right sides contain all the ports and connectors, while the front and left side is smooth. The Tronsmart Orion R68 includes 2 USB 2.0 ports, a micro-USB port, and an SD card slot. Two small slots allow for heat dissipation.
The box connects to your TV, network, and peripherals easily. The USB ports allow the user to hook up a keyboard and mouse to use it as a desktop computer. I also connected a Logitech Illuminated Living Room k830 keyboard with a built-in touchpad for computing from the couch. Optionally, hook up external storage to store large video files or a big movie/picture collection.
Tronsmart Orion R68
Booting up the Tronsmart Orion R68 takes around 32 seconds from a cold start. That’s on par with other devices using the RK3368. Resuming from standby is instant.
Orion R68 can output the resolution 4K*2K@60fps with ease. Tronsmart only chooses the high-end HDMI cable as standard accessories to match our TV Box, so users can enjoy large-scale games which require UHD frame rate@60fps, and can enjoy 18Gbps data transfer and 12-Bit real-colour without any data losing on Orion R68 (has HDMI 2.0).
The Tronsmart Orion R68 runs Android 5.1 and thankfully, Tronsmart hasn’t tweaked it much. Out of the box, apps such as eHome Media Center, Netflix and Kodi 14.2 are pre-installed but all can be uninstalled.
Video playback was generally good. I experienced the same issues with tougher samples as I did on the i68, with my 1080p Hi10p sample tripping the box up. However, few units will decode it in hardware so I’m not penalizing the R68 here.
The Tronsmart Orion R68’s wireless performance was excellent, with the download and upload speeds of 108.5 and 20.4 Mbps respectively.
Moving over to the real world tests, I could stream 1080p video samples from an NFS share fine. I did have some minor stuttering at the start of my 4K samples but this could be due to WiFi congestion.
Where to buy Tronsmart R68 TV Box
You can buy the Tronsmart R68 TV Box from GearBest, Amazon or Ebay
- Brand: Tronsmart
- Model: Orion R68 Meta
- Color: Black
- Material: Plastic
- Operating System: Google Android 5.1
- CPU: Rockchip R3368 Octa Core up to 1.6GHz (Cortex-A53 64bit)
- GPU: SGX6110; support 4K*2K H.265/H.264
- RAM: DDR3 2GB
- ROM: Onboard eMMC Flash 16GB
- Extended Storage: Micro SD Card (Maximum support 32GB)
Wifi Connectivity: IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/MIMO, 802.11ac WiFi compliant; 4.900 GHz ~ 5.845 GHz (5.0 GHz ISM Band) AP6335
Ethernet: 10/100M/1000M LAN
Bluetooth: BT 4.0
- Video/Picture Supported: HEVC/H.265 decoder
- Support up to 4096×2304 resolution
- Support up to 100Mbps bit rate
- Embedded memory management unit(MMU)
- Stream error detector (28 IDs)
- Internal 128k cache for bandwidth reduction
- Multi-clock domains and auto clock-gating design for power saving
- Real-time video decoder of MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, AVS, VC-1, RV, VP6/VP8, Sorenson Spark, MVC
- Error detection and concealment support for all video formats
- Output data format is YUV420 semi-planar, and YUV400(monochrome) is also supported for H.264
- H.264 up to HP level 5.2:4Kx2K@30fps (4096×2304)
- MPEG-4 up to ASP level 5:1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
- MPEG-2 up to MP:2160p@30fps (3840×2160)
- MPEG-1 up to MP:1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
- H.263:576p@60fps (720×576)
- Sorenson Spark:1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
- VC-1 up to AP level 3:1080p@30fps (1920×1088)
- RV8/RV9/RV10:1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
- VP6/VP8:2160p@24fps (3840×2160)
- AVS:1080p@60fps (1920×1088)
- MVC:2160p@30fps (3840×2160)
- For AVS, 4:4:4 sampling not supported
- For H.264, image cropping not supported
- For MPEG-4, GMC(global motion compensation) not supported
- For VC-1, upscaling and range mapping are supported in image post-processor
- For MPEG-4 SP/H.263/Sorenson spark, using a modified H.264 in-loop filter to implement deblocking filter in post
- processor unit
HDMI Port: Standard HDMI female, v2.0
Other Interfaces: 3* Standard USB; 1* micro USB with OTG; 1*DC in Jack; 1*H DMI IN Port; 1*S/SPDIF (2CH, 5.1CH); 1*RJ45; 1* SD card
Power: Adapter 5V 2A
IR Sensor: 1*IR
Power LED: 1* power LED with two – color
Button: 1*Power Button
1*Update Button(via one pinhole)
Antenna: Built-in antenna for WIFI
Keyboard: Qwerty keyboard
Support original ecology and custom UI
Work Environment: 5- 35 Degrees, 30%–90% Humidity
Storage Environment: -20 – 60 Degrees, 10%–90% Humidity
Dimension & Weight (Main Product)
1 x TV box
1 x IR remote control
1 x Power adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent as your shipping country)
Finally, check out our other Tronsmart TV box Reviews
- Tronsmart Vega S96 TV Box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart Vega S96 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart Vega S96 is based on the same small box as the S95 Vega variants, and so offers quite a simple and elegant design. It’s made of black matte plastic and contains plenty of ports – USB, Micro-SD, and SPDIF on top of the customary HDMI and power ... Read more...
- Tronsmart MXIII Plus Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart MXIII Plus Review By Android TV Box Review The Tronsmart MXIII Plus is one of the most popular TV boxes with Android on the market. This is due to the fact that even though it is quite advanced and offers a lot of features, users can simply plug it in and run the apps or visualize high-quality videos. ... Read more...
- Tronsmart R68 TV Box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart R68 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review The Tronsmart Orion R68 is Tronsmart’s latest Android TV box and their first featuring the increasingly popular Rockchip RK3368. It’s available in two versions. The Pro features 1GB of RAM and 8GB of storage whilst the Meta increases both with 2GB of RAM and 16Gb of onboard storage. The R68’s ... Read more...
- Tronsmart Pavo M9 TV Box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart Pavo M9 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review The Tronsmart Pavo M9’s design an unobtrusive black square that follows in the footsteps of Tronsmart’s recent designs. It stays out of the way but I can’t help but wish they made something that looked distinctive. The plastic Pavo M9 is surprisingly better-looking than the metal Draco HW80. A ... Read more...
- Tronsmart Draco H3 TV Stick Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart Draco H3 TV Stick Review By Android TV Box Review The Tronsmart Draco H3 is roughly the same size as other stick-shaped mini PCs such as the MK808B Plus or Intel Compute Stick. It’s covered in a nice rubberized coating which feels great and makes the device feel more expensive than it actually is. The design is military-inspired, ... Read more...
- Tronsmart Draco AW80 TV Box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart Draco AW80 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review The Tronsmart Draco AW80 is an ultra-compact high specification mini PC / TV box that connects directly to your HDTV for a massive world of online entertainment. It’s the easiest way to enjoy online movies, live and on-demand sports, music, photos, games, productivity apps and so much more. ... Read more...
- Tronsmart Ara IZ37 Mini PC Review Reviewed by Android TV Box review Tronsmart Ara IZ37 Mini PC Review By Android TV Box Review Tronsmart has got the official authorization from Microsoft, so the original and already activated Windows 10 are available on Ara IZ37 directly. With the official key, users can update to Windows 10 directly. Beautiful Power LED indicator The power LED indicator features Ara IZ37 the exclusive mould. Power on and ... Read more...