- Readers Rating
- Rated 2.5 stars
2.5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating
PROBOX2 Z looks identical like a Beelink Mini MX, of course, differs only in branding. The PROBOX2 Z is a small (110mm * 110mm * 17.5mm), well and solidly made TV Box with good quality not shiny plastic in black color. The front panel has IR receiver and power LED. On one side is a one USB 2.0 port and micro SD card slot. On the rear panel are 5V DCjack, USB 2.0 port, HDMI 2.0 port, RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet port and an Optical S / PDIF port.
Probox2 have been in the Android mini PC game since 2013, with some highly acclaimed TV media players such as the ULTIMATE, EX and EX+. These smarten up your TV so it can play or stream media, and run loads of Play Store apps just like a tablet.
Booting Android to the “home screen” takes about 00:56.3 seconds (too long!). “Home screen” launcher PROBOX2 Z TV Box looks very simple and familiar and also looks the same as in the previous model PROBOX2 EX+. In addition to the remote control, I used a standard keyboard and mouse, PROBOX2 Remote+, MINIX A2 Lite and Xiaomi gamepad.
Build Quality & Design
The Z has adopted the familiar black flat square box design that has become the norm for set-top boxes. It’s actually a fair bit smaller and thinner than many we’ve seen, with no external WiFi antenna.
The front of the box has an IR receiver and a LED which lights up blue during use and red when on standby. On one side you get a standard USB 2.0 port and microSD slot, while towards the back you get another USB, optical audio out, ethernet and HDMI out ports. In the box, you also get a 5V 2A power adapter, remote and HDMI cable. All ports and connectors seem well made and top quality.
PROBOX2 have their own launcher installed which has “Home” and “More” tabs with easily selectable large icon folders, plus an “All Apps” tab. Unusually it even has a weather ticker that scrolls along the top. Overall this launcher is basic but serviceable – especially if you are always running the same few apps. More demanding users can always switch to a different launcher from the Play Store.
Operating system and components
The PROBOX2 Z TV Box runs on the Android 5.1 Lollipop, namely version 5.1.1 and the Linux Kernel version 3.14.29. After checking the availability of an update in “System Update” it turned out to be the new firmware is available via OTA update (Big Plus!) The device had installed the firmware Build number – s905_103L1. After updating firmware the device has received the Build number s905_104L1.
Performance tests and benchmarks
For testing, I use the AnTuTu Video Tester 3.0 app and AnTuTu Benchmark 6.0. The following screenshots from the video test. The result 910, slightly worse than MX Plus (result 892), MRX (result 906), T95 (result 906), Minix Neo U1(result 899), K1 Plus TV Box (result 886) and Beelink Mini MX (result 920). Also worthy of note is that MX Plus did have not supported codecs.
While MiniX is undoubtedly the company that’s leading the way with these devices, Probox2 don’t seem to be far behind and we’ll definitely be keeping an eye on them. If you’re looking for a decent mid-range Android box to stream content to your TV (up to 1080p) then the Probox2 Z will certainly fit the bill.
Where to buy Probox2 Z TV Box
You can buy the Probox2 Z TV Box from GearBest, Amazon or Ebay
- CPU – Amlogic S905 quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 @ up to 2.0GHz
- GPU – Penta-core Mali-450MP Up to 750 MHz
- Memory – 1GB DDR3
- OS – Android 5.1 Lollipop
- Storage – 8GB eMMC flash + micro SD card slot
- Video Output – HDMI 2.0 up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDMI CEC support
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0
- Interfaces – 2x USB 2.0 host ports, TF Card slot, HDMI, S/PDIF, LAN RJ45 (1000Mbps), DC in Jack
- Misc – IR Receiver, Power LED
- Power Supply – 5V/2A
- Dimensions – 110mm * 110mm * 17.5mm
- Weight – 185g
- PROBOX2 Z Android TV Box
- HDMI cable
- Power adapter 5V/2A (EU)
- Remote control (without AAA batteries)
- Quick Start Guide
Finally, check out our other Probox TV box Reviews
- Probox2 Z TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Z TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX2 Z looks identical like a Beelink Mini MX, of course, differs only in branding. The PROBOX2 Z is a small (110mm * 110mm * 17.5mm), well and solidly made TV Box with good quality not shiny plastic in black color. The front panel has IR receiver and ... Read more...
- ProBox2 Ex+ TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review ProBox2 Ex+ TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review ProBox2 EX+ TV Box is a slick looking small black box with a matte finish on top and bottom and a reflective coating on all four sides. It’s light at around 200 grams and can be easily mounted on the back of a TV or other HDMI capable ... Read more...
- Probox2 Air TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air TV Box is the latest Android-based TV box to hit the market and has a great number of features to at least tempt you to consider stumping up the cash to get quality visuals in all your rooms. Hardware The PROBOX2 Air Plus is a fairly standard Android ... Read more...
- Probox2 Air Plus TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air Plus TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX2 Air Plus TV Box is an upgrade from the PROBOX2 Air. It is now equipped with a much more powerful processor, an added ram, and more storage. We’ve tried it out and we can tell you that this is a nice addition to your entertainment area ... Read more...
- Probox EX TV box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox EX TV box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX EX TV box is a small, well and aesthetically made TV Box. As we said at the beginning of his heart is Amlogic S812 Quad Core Cortex A9 CPU processor which supports 4K@30fps H.265/H.264 hardware decoding, FHD 1080p @30fps hardware encoding, supports H.264. The device also has ... Read more...
Good value for money
Fast & Stable work
Friendly & Simple UI
Good video playback
Long booting time