- Readers Rating
- Rated 3.5 stars
3.5 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Very Good
- Your Rating
Probox2 Air TV Box is the latest Android-based TV box to hit the market and has a great number of features to at least tempt you to consider stumping up the cash to get quality visuals in all your rooms.
- 0.1 Hardware
- 0.2 Software
- 0.3 Android apps
- 0.4 Fits anywhere
- 0.5 4K HDR compatible
- 0.6 Remote+
- 0.7 Main Features
- 0.8 Where to buy Probox2 Air TV Box
- 0.9 Specification
- 0.10 Peripheral Interface
- 1 Finally, check out our other Probox TV box Reviews
The PROBOX2 Air Plus is a fairly standard Android TV box. It looks identical to other PROBOX2 devices, with a blue power LED and matte finish. There are a USB 2.0 port and micro SD card slot on the left side and the external wifi antenna connector on the right. At the back of the unit, we’ve got DC in, another USB 2.0 port, HDMI out, Ethernet and optical audio. As always, I’m disappointed there’s no front USB port for easy access. The included IR remote is similar to other Android TV boxes I’ve reviewed. There’s an impressive set of functions here including shortcut keys, Android functions, and a mouse model.
The PROBOX2 Air Plus boots in around 35 seconds, which is similar to other Amlogic S912 devices I’ve reviewed. On first boot, there’s a brief setup wizard which takes you through the basics of getting the Android TV box connected to the net and more. It’s a nice touch that makes the box far more user-friendly.The PROBOX2’s launcher is attractive enough, with built-in shortcuts for Qodi (a Kodi fork), Google Play and more. There are also folders for apps such as games and a customisable row of shortcuts on the bottom. If you’re not a fan of the default launcher, PROBOX2’s “1-Click Switch UI” feature lets you easily change launchers, though I didn’t find myself using it at all.
Probox2 equipped the latest TV box with a skinned version of Android 6.0. That means, underneath the simple user interface designed for use on TVs is a platform which is supported by millions of apps and games. You can download any app or game you would on your Android phone, and have it play directly on your big screen at home. Whether that means playing your favorite racing games or just watching Netflix, you can do it all without having to get invested in a new platform or a new company’s services. With that said, it also runs KODI 16.0, which is essentially a one-stop repository for multiple video sources like Apple Trailers, Vevo, Sky Sports and much more.
One of the great things about the Probox2 Air is that it doesn’t take up a lot of space, so you put it virtually anywhere. It’s a similar size to the 3rd generation Apple TV, perhaps slightly slimmer, and has been designed in Sweden to offer a minimalist, attractive style. It’ll fit well next to your secondary TVs in your kitchen or bedroom, or just slide next to the other media players you have in your lounge, without any trouble.
4K HDR compatible
Probox2 Air supports a number of video and audio playback formats including full HD 1080p at 60 frames per second and Dolby/DTS 5.1 and 7.1 surround. But perhaps the most vital is 4K HDR support. The Android TV box supports 4K playback up to 60 frames per second and can play HDR content, to ensure that if you have the latest high-end television, you won’t be disappointed by the image quality. What’s more, because it has microSD card support, you can load any media on to a little memory card, and have it show up on your TV.
Beam any content from your phone
As well as giving you the ability to stream content directly from the box, or playing media from a memory card, you can use Miracast technology to beam from your phone. Using Miracast technology you can AirPlay content from your iPhone to your screen, or Cast from your Android device.
To maximize the best user experience, the Probox2 comes with the Remote+ controller. Remote+ is a unique tailor-made media remote controller with Fly mouse function, Gyroscope, Gaming pad, built-in microphone and directional pad for easy navigation in media applications like the Kodi / XBMC and is designed to make things even easier.
Runs Android 6.0
3GB of fast DDR4 RAM and 32GB of onboard storage for improved multitasking
Strong media playback capabilities including 4K 60fps video decoding for certain codecs
Dual-band Wireless AC for network streaming
Unique “1-click Swap UI” feature allows for fast switching between Android launchers
Respectable gaming performance thanks to the Amlogic S912’s ARM Mali-T820MP3 GPU
Where to buy Probox2 Air TV Box
You can buy the Probox2 Air TV Box from GearBest, Amazon or Ebay
- Chipset: Amlogic S905X Quad Core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2GHz
- GPU: Penta Core ARM Mali-450 GPU up to 750MHz+
- Memory / Storage: 2GB DDR3 / 16GB eMMC
- LAN: RJ-45 Ethernet Port (10/100Mbps)
- Wireless: 802.11ac Dual Band WIFI (2.4Ghz / 5.8Ghz)
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
- OS: Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- Video Output: HDMI 2.0b, up to 4K*2K @ 60fps, Support HDR, HDMI-CEC**, HDCP 2.2
- Audio Output: Via HDMI 2.0b, optical SPDIF (5.1CH, 7.1CH)
- Power: DC 5V 2A adapter (CE, FCC, CCC Certified)
- RJ-45 Ethernet Port (10/100Mbps)
- USB 2.0 Port x 2
- OTG Port
- TF Card Reader
- IR Sensor (Remote included)
- PROBOX2 Air Plus Android TV Box
- External Wifi Antenna
- Power Adapter
- IR Remote
- HDMI Cable
- English User Manual
Finally, check out our other Probox TV box Reviews
- Probox2 Z TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Z TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX2 Z looks identical like a Beelink Mini MX, of course, differs only in branding. The PROBOX2 Z is a small (110mm * 110mm * 17.5mm), well and solidly made TV Box with good quality not shiny plastic in black color. The front panel has IR receiver and ... Read more...
- ProBox2 Ex+ TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review ProBox2 Ex+ TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review ProBox2 EX+ TV Box is a slick looking small black box with a matte finish on top and bottom and a reflective coating on all four sides. It’s light at around 200 grams and can be easily mounted on the back of a TV or other HDMI capable ... Read more...
- Probox2 Air TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air TV Box is the latest Android-based TV box to hit the market and has a great number of features to at least tempt you to consider stumping up the cash to get quality visuals in all your rooms. Hardware The PROBOX2 Air Plus is a fairly standard Android ... Read more...
- Probox2 Air Plus TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox2 Air Plus TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX2 Air Plus TV Box is an upgrade from the PROBOX2 Air. It is now equipped with a much more powerful processor, an added ram, and more storage. We’ve tried it out and we can tell you that this is a nice addition to your entertainment area ... Read more...
- Probox EX TV box Review Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Probox EX TV box Review By Android TV Box Review PROBOX EX TV box is a small, well and aesthetically made TV Box. As we said at the beginning of his heart is Amlogic S812 Quad Core Cortex A9 CPU processor which supports 4K@30fps H.265/H.264 hardware decoding, FHD 1080p @30fps hardware encoding, supports H.264. The device also has ... Read more...
Excellent media playback
Strong gaming performance
No Automatic Framerate Switching in QODI/Kodi
Netflix limited to 480p