- Readers Rating
- Rated 4 stars
4 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating
M8 II M12 TV Box comes with a simple IR remote comes, but did not include two AAA batteries. I only use the remote shortly, as I prefer using an RF remote with Android, and I used Mele F10 air mouse during testing which includes a QWERTY keyboard, and a gyroscope to easily move the mouse pointer. Besides the IR remote, the sample I received only included a 5V/2A power supply, so I also had to take a spare HDMI cable. Retail versions of the box may be included an HDMI cable, however. Before connecting the power, I’ve connected an Ethernet cable, HDMI cables, and the Mele F10 USB RF dongle. There’s no power button on the device, so as soon as you connect the power, a blue LED lits up, and the device boots to the same Windows 8 / Metro-style user’s interface as Tronsmart Vega S89.
M8 gets 24,133 in Antutu from, the play store, against 22,603 for Vega S89 Elite. In Vega S89, Antutu detailed results showed “4x cores @ 1104 MHz”, but in M8 it shows correctly “4x cores @ 1992 MHz”. Firmware is newer in the M8, so this may one reason. Some people have reported reaching 30,000 points in Antutu, with allegedly the same firmware, so I wonder if it’s because of some thermal management, as my room is relatively warm at 28 degrees C. Just as with Vega S89, the GPU benchmarks have been run in portrait mode (607×1080), instead of full-screen mode, which means other apps are likely to have issues too. I’d like to point out M8 failed to completely run Antutu once or twice, so it may be possible they’ve extracted some more performance at the expense of stability.
- Android 4.4 KitKat OS.
- CPU: Amlogic S802 Quad core Cortex A9 Up to 2GHz.
- 4K*2K Ultra HD decode and play 2096*2304 and 3840*2160 Ultra HD movies
- 4K*2K HDMI Output.
- Support to play 3D Blu-ray and Blu-ray ISO format video and movies directly.
- Build in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and RJ45 port.
- Support XBMC.
- Access hundreds of thousands of apps, games on Google Play Store.
Where to buy M8 II M12 TV Box
You can buy the M8 II M12 TV Box from GearBest, Amazon or Ebay
- CPU: Amlogic S802 Quad core Cortex A9r4 2GHz
- GPU: Octal-core Mali-450MP GPU 600 MHz FLASH 8 GB NAND
- SD RAM: 2GB DDR3
- OS: Android 4.4 KitKat OS
- 3D: Hardware 3D graphics acceleration
- Decoder format: HD MPEG1/2/4, H.264, HD AVC/VC-1, RM/RMVB, Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6, RealVideo8/9/10
- Media format: Avi/Rm/Rmvb/Ts/Vob/Mkv/Mov/ISO/WMV/asf/FLV/dat/mpg/MPEG
- Music format: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
- Support Photo format: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
- USB host: 2 High-speed USB 2.0, support USB DISK and USB HDD
- Card reader: SD/SDHC/MMC cards
- HDD file system: FAT16/FAT32/NTFS
- Support Subtitle: SRT/SMI/SUB/SSA/IDX USB
- High Definition video output: SD/HD max.1920×1080 pixel
- OSD type of languages: English/French/German/Spanish/Italian/ etc multilateral languages
- LAN: Ethernet:10/100M, standard RJ-45
- Wireless Support: 802.11 b/g/n Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz/5 GHz)
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth V4.0
- Mouse/ Keyboard: Support mouse and keyboard via USB; Support 2.4 GHz wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4 GHz USB dongle
- HDMI: HDMI 1.4 up to 4K2K
- AV: AV
- Support DOLBY: True HD and DTS HD DOLBY True HD and DTS HD Bypass through HDMI
Power Supply Specifications:
- Supply: DC5V/2A
- Indicator (LED): Power ON: blue. Standby: Red
- Network Function: Skype chatting, Picasa, YouTube, Flicker, Facebook, Online movies, etc.
- Other feature: Free Internet searching, thousands of Android applications, many kinds of games, etc.
- Android TV BOX
- HDMI Cable
- Remote Control
- User Manual
- Power Adapter
Smooth and fast firmware.
Android 4.4 KitKat
XBMC 13 pre-installed
Blu-Ray ISO and 4K video playback
1080p user interface
4K video output up to 30 fps supported
Good Ethernet performance (60 Mbps video playback OK)
Good video formats/codecs support
USB webcam works with Skype and Google Hangouts
HDMI CEC support
M8 II M12 TV Box with AMLogic S805 as CPU.
Stability problems. Not catastrophic, but the device may still hang a few times. Could it be temperature related?
Bluetooth not working.
Poor Wi-Fi performance.
Can’t install paid apps via Google Play.
Sometimes non-optimal user’s experience:
Need to switch between XBMC and MX Player depending on video files
Multiple input devices required, e.g. if you use an air mouse, you still need to access the IR remote to put the device into Standby.
Bluetooth not available from default settings menu
Only Chinese cities available for weather
H.265 not working smoothly (frames skipped). Probably not fixable (not supported by hardware, and GPGPU not supported by Mali-450)
DTS, Dolby, AC3 not supported by hardware, but software decoded in XBMC (Can’t be fixed, SoC related)