- Readers Rating
- Rated 3 stars
3 / 5 (Reviewers)
- Your Rating
Himedia H8 TV Box automatically boots when plugged into power. With a USB keyboard and mouse connected, a cold boot takes around 30 seconds. There’s no standby mode unfortunately but the unit can be powered on and off via the remote.
HiMedia is one of the biggest names in the Android media player market and is also one of the first names that come to mind when you think of high-quality Android TV boxes. Previously we review the HiMedia Q10 Pro and Q5 Pro Android TV boxes that both performed great and didn’t totally break the bank cost wise. The refined HiMedia firmware and thoughtful product design mean that their boxes run perfectly whilst still ensuring that they look great sitting next to your TV. Today we are taking a look at another offering from HiMedia, the H8 Plus Android media player.
- 0.1 Design
- 0.2 Main Home Launcher:
- 0.3 Highlights
- 0.3.1 7.1 CHANNEL HD-AUDIO IN KODI
- 0.3.2 4K UHD H.265 IN KODI
- 0.3.3 3D BD-ISO IN KODI
- 0.3.4 AUTO FRAME-RATE SWITCHING IN KODI
- 0.3.5 ANDROID 5.1 WITH FULL PLAY STORE
- 0.3.6 PRE-INSTALLED CUSTOM KODI 15.2
- 0.3.7 HIGH-QUALITY CASING – RUNS COOL
- 0.3.8 OCTA-CORE CPU AND 64-CORE GPU
- 0.3.9 AIRPLAY AND MIRACAST
- 0.3.10 1GB RAM AND 8GB FLASH STORAGE
- 0.4 HIGH-QUALITY LEARNING REMOTE
- 0.5 Where to buy Himedia H8 TV Box
- 0.6 Specification
- 0.7 Communication
- 0.8 Media Supported
- 0.9 Interfaces
- 0.10 Other Features
- 0.11 Applications
- 1 Finally, check out our other Himedia TV box Reviews
The Himedia H8’s rectangular design is simple yet elegant. Despite looking similar to other Android tv boxes, a silver chamfered edge helps it look unique yet still blend in with your other AV equipment. The unit’s black matte finish looks nice and keeps fingerprints to a minimum. H8 Core is encased in a brushed aluminum box, with passive cooling only. That means it is completely silent. H8 Core does not have any buttons on it, and can only be turned on and off (no suspend/sleep option) from the included remote. There is no recovery pin hole either, and any and all upgrades are done either online or locally via the upgrade option in settings.
Main Home Launcher:
HiMedia have shipped the H8 with a unique TV-friendly launcher that looks like a more refined version of the MediaBox launcher we’ve seen before, with nice animations and a consistent design throughout.
7.1 CHANNEL HD-AUDIO IN KODI
All HD-Audio (including lossless 7.1 channel HD MA / TrueHD) can be passed via HDMI using the pre-installed custom version of Kodi 15.2. All HD-Audio can be downmixed/passed using the Himedia Media Centre app.
4K UHD H.265 IN KODI
Pre-installed custom Kodi with native 4K and H.265. The Himedia Media Centre app offers H.265/HEVC 4K support at up to 60fps.
3D BD-ISO IN KODI
Full MVC Blu-Ray 3D BD-ISO is supported in both custom Kodi and the Himedia Media Centre app.Full MVC Blu-Ray 3D BD-ISO is supported in both custom Kodi and the Himedia Media Centre app.Full MVC Blu-Ray 3D BD-ISO is supported in both custom Kodi and the Himedia Media Centre app.
AUTO FRAME-RATE SWITCHING IN KODI
HDMI output can be set to automatically switch between 24/50/60Hz depending on content frame rate.
ANDROID 5.1 WITH FULL PLAY STORE
Latest ‘Lollipop’ version of Android with the new slick interface and streamlined setup. Full Play Store is pre-installed for easy access to all apps.
PRE-INSTALLED CUSTOM KODI 15.2
Himedia custom Kodi 15.2 (firmware 1.0.9) pre-installed with native 7.1 HD-Audio, 3D, and 4K H.265 support. Other versions of Kodi can be run with hardware video decoding but without 7.1 audio and 4K. Himedia is sharing their Kodi customisations under GPL (open source license) so future versions of Kodi (version 17 onwards) will have full hardware H8 support built in.
HIGH-QUALITY CASING – RUNS COOL
The HiMedia H8 uses a new charcoal brushed aluminum casing with exposed metal edging. As well as looking great, the casing provides excellent heat dissipation so the H8 runs cool. This gives it a real performance advantage over other products where the cheap casing causes overheating and CPU throttling (slowdown). The H8 scores a consistent ~39,000 on Antutu benchmark.
OCTA-CORE CPU AND 64-CORE GPU
Next generation octa(8)-core Cortex A53 chipset based on new 64bit ARMv8 instruction set. Powerful 2D/3D GPU with 64 simultaneous operations Unified Shader Cluster.
AIRPLAY AND MIRACAST
Airplay (including iOS 9.0) and Miracast support are pre-installed, allowing you to use the H8 to share and mirror content from a smartphone/tablet.
1GB RAM AND 8GB FLASH STORAGE
A generous 1GB RAM and 8GB storage.
HIGH-QUALITY LEARNING REMOTE
Full sized and fully functioned remote with IR learning facility to replicate TV remote. With mouse function (cursor control by direction buttons) for use by all Android apps.
WI-FI(N), LAN AND EXTERNAL PORTS
Wi-fi (2.4Ghz a/b/g/n) for great wifi reception and speeds and 10/100 LAN for fast reliable wired networking. External ports: 2x USB 2.0 host, 1x SD, 1x TOSLINK, 1 x Composite video, HDMI 2.0 video/audio.
Where to buy Himedia H8 TV Box
You can buy the Himedia H8 TV Box from GearBest, Amazon or Ebay
- Model: HiMedia H8
- Color: Black
- Operating System: Android 5.1
- CPU: RK3368 Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 up to 1.5GHZ (DVFS),64 bit
- GPU: PowerVR SGX6110 high performance GPU,Supports OpenGL ES3.1, OpenCL 1.2 and DirectX 9.3; Supports 4K * 2K H.264 / H.265 real-time Video playback
- RAM: DDRIII 1GB
- ROM: EMMC 8GB
- Wifi Connectivity: 802.11 b/g/n
- Ethernet: 10/100M, standard RJ-45
- Video Supported Video Decoder: 4Kp60 10-bit HEVC, 4Kp30 MPEG / VC-1 / AVS / H.264 / H.265; HD MPEG1/2/4,H.265/HEVC, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10
- Video Encoder: H.264,1080P@60fps
- Video: AVI/RM/RMVB/TS/VOB/MKV/MOV/ISO/WMV/ASF/FLV/DAT/MPG/MPEG
- Audio Supported: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/OGG/AC3/DDP/TrueHD/DTS/DTS/HD/FLAC/APE
- Picture Supported: HD JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/TIFF
- Subtitle Format: SRT,SMI,SUB,SSA,IDX+SUB,PGS
- File System: NTFS,FAT32,EXT3,EXT2
- Text Subtitle Option: Font Color,outline color,Position,Size,Timeline,Encoding
- Resolution: 4Kx2K
- DOLBY TrueHD and DTS: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Bypass through HDMI
- KODI: Yes
- HDMI Port: HDMI 2.0 4K*2K 60Hz
- Other Interfaces
- USB2.0 Host*2
- RJ45 port*1
- SD/MMC 2-in-1 card reader*1
- Power: 5V 2A
- Mouse/ Keyboard: Support mouse and keyboard via USB
- Support 2.4G wireless mouse and keyboard via 2.4G USB dongle
- XBMC Support local high-definition play, support plug-in installation and play
- DRM Optional: Microsoft Playready, Verimatrix, Google Widevine
- DLNA,AirPlay,Google TV Remote,LAN,Miracast,3D movie
- Online Browse all video websites (HTML5),support Netflix,Hulu,Flicker,Picasa,Youtube,Twitter ,Facebook,etc
- Apps download freely from Android market, Amazon App Store etc
- Local Media playback, support HDD, U disk, SD card
- Talk online: SKYPE video call,facebook,twitter,etc.
- Others: Email, office suit etc
- Dimensions & Weight: 15.6*10.2*/2.2cm/6.1*4*0.85inch ; 309g/10.9oz
- TV box
- IR remote
- HDMI cable
- Power adapter (A right AC Adapter will be sent to your shipping country)
- User manual
Finally, check out our other Himedia TV box Reviews
- Himedia M6 TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Himedia M6 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia M6 TV Box has a 4GB flash, and the storage is partitioned so that apps get 1.29GB (258MB used), the internal SD card 894 MB, the rest being used by the system. Developer Options are already visible with lots of different options available, but not enabled by ... Read more...
- Himedia M3 TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Himedia M3 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia M3 TV Box is a new 4K Android TV box which is equipped with a Hisilicon quad-core 1.5GHz CPU with Mali 450 GPU, builds in 1GB DDR3 RAM and 8GB eMMC large ROM. It uses the latest Android 4.4 operation system and supports 4K video play and ... Read more...
- Himedia H8 Plus TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Himedia H8 Plus TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review HiMedia H8 Plus comes packaged in attractive packaging that makes use of the company’s brand colors. The HiMedia logo can be seen at the top left of the box with the product name situation in the middle. A large product show is printed underneath the product name, ... Read more...
- Himedia H8 Lite TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Himedia H8 Lite TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia H8 Lite TV Box version is as fast as its bigger brother, the H8 Plus, but has less internal memory. Enjoy the Octa-core Cortex-A53 CPU with the extremely sharp image. Together with the Plus version, the HiMedia H8 is currently one of the best Media Players. HiMedia ... Read more...
- Himedia H8 TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV Box Review Himedia H8 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia H8 TV Box automatically boots when plugged into power. With a USB keyboard and mouse connected, a cold boot takes around 30 seconds. There’s no standby mode unfortunately but the unit can be powered on and off via the remote. HiMedia is one of the biggest names in ... Read more...
- Himedia Q5 Pro TV Box Review, By Android TV box Review Himedia Q5 Pro TV Box Review Android TV Box Review HiMedia Q5 Pro TV Box comes with Kodi 16.1 Jarvis. It is a slightly modified version of Kodi by HiMedia because the default playback operates via an external player. Also, the tests we have installed a “clean” version of Kodi 16.1 Jarvis HIMEDIA Q5 Pro is an Android ... Read more...
- Himedia Q8 TV Box Review, By Android TV box Review Himedia Q8 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia Q8 TV Box is the simple solution to upgrade your regular tv into a smart tv. No need to invest in new televisions, you still have the smart entertainment features of the smart. Even some of the remarkable features that smart tv does not have. Design: With a mono-aluminum ... Read more...
- Himedia Q10 Pro TV Box Review. By Android TV box Review Himedia Q10 Pro TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review This HiMedia Q10 Pro is a box that connects to your TV over HDMI and allows it to operate as a giant Android tablet, though without the touchscreen (you get a remote control instead). You can install any apps you might install on a phone or tablet, ... Read more...
- Himedia Q30 TV Box Review, By Android TV box Review Himedia Q30 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia Q30 TV Box offers support for Ultra High-Definition (UHD) 4K video playback right out of the box. This means you can get an incredibly clear picture, better image texture and a lot less pixelated than on regular high-definition signals. The Q30 includes 802.11 b/g/n/ac WiFi with an external ... Read more...
- Himedia A5 TV Box Review, Reviewed By Android TV box Review Himedia A5 TV Box Review By Android TV Box Review Himedia A5 TV Box carries the powerful Amlogic S912 chipset, a high-performance Octa core 64bit chipset clocked at 1.5GHz maximum. No doubt apps will never run so smoothly in devices with other chipsets.2GB of RAM and 16GB eMMC flash Storage, Dual Band 2.4GHz + 5GHz 802.11b/g/n/ac WiFi and ... Read more...
Latest Software Update